Monday, June 11, 2012

The Beautiful Gladiola

I was asked by a fellow cake decorator who saw my sugar flowers if I had made a Gladiola? 

She wanted to make one for a cake and she bought the cutters, but didn't know how to make them.  No, I haven't I told her, but if she sent me a photo of the Gladiola she was interested in making and her cutters I will make one and tell you how.

I went on line and looked at Gladiolas like the photo she sent me and I also visited some nurseries to see them in person. I actually love to learn to make a new flowers on my own and not following any sugar artist method. It is a great challenge to me and when I do get it just how I want it I am sooo very excited. I love feedback I get also when I post it and ask for suggestions or thoughts  of others.

Here is the flower I found on line that I am going to make. I just love the colors

A real Gladiola

After looking at the flowers a while and studying how the petals are arranged and the texture the flower has I found a cutter and a Styrofoam shaper that would work perfectly.. I also had the texture tool I use quite often and it would work just fine. 

The toughest part of making a flower the first time is shaping them to dry to come out like you want them. Sometimes I think I know what will work, but then I realize I shaped part of it wrong. With this flower I shaped the tips of the petals just how I wanted them, but the bottom of the petals I curved in just a bit too much so they wouldn't lay as flat as I hoped.

Here is the finish flower after fiddling with organizing the petals.. 

Gumpaste Gladiola (my first go of it

I do have a few adjustments to make to the other flowers I will make to complete a Gladiola stalk. But all in all I seem to like it. I will be making an additional full open flower, a couple of buds and just opening flowers.

6 comments:

  1. Thank You for posting this I've been wanting to make some but what cutters did you use or were the Glad cutters. Your coloring is spot on I have a ton of them in the garden there one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added my reply in the wrong place..So sorry I haven't answered earlier.. I haven't even had time to come on here.. I used tear drop cutters and shaped them to somewhat of a point so the tops aren't so round.. thanks for the nice words...

      Delete
  2. So sorry I haven't answered earlier.. I haven't even had time to come on here.. I used tear drop cutters and shaped them to somewhat of a point so the tops aren't so round.. thanks for the nice words...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to make these right now. Did you use fondant tools to make the petals wavy? Also, how did you dry these? How thin did you make the petals? I tried to find a tutorial, but can't find one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I roll the gumpaste very thin. I lay them in a apple tray to curve them while drying. I used gumpaste tools. Rolling pin, ball tool for the edges, the only tools and a veiner for the texture on the petals. They might have a Gladiola veiner now, it has been a while since I did this. Hope this helps..

    ReplyDelete