Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Simply Layered Cake Design

Ultimate Cake Off (TV Show)
I wrote once before about my friend Christy who is the owner of Simply Layered. We became friends interning at "Let Them Eat Cake" in Costa Mesa several years ago where we were both interning. After we went our separate ways.

It truly is a small world after all.

About 2 years ago I was at work at my day job and ran into Christy in the parking lot where she worked her day job just around the corner from me. She was building her business and I changed paths to making sugar flowers. We caught up a bit and became friends. She began ordering sugar flowers from me and soon after I started helping her out at times with her orders. It was fun to decorate again.

Her business has grown a lot since we first met and she moved to a bigger rental kitchen. She has also expanded her offering from decorated cakes to include a variety of the best tasting baked goods all made from scratch.  Christy began supplying local Huntington Beach restaurants with her baked goods on a regular basis and hopefully it won't end with just the two.

Mini Treats

The fun part is helping test recipes and assist when I get a chance. I am slow but it's very fun. Who knew how many dishes need to be washed throughout the day.. I really earn all the treats she gives me just from doing the dishes.  

At the end of this month April is the annual "Taste of Huntington Beach". This is where many local restaurants and other food vendors share what they make.. last year Simply Layered won best dessert and this years display and desserts have already been chosen. Only a couple of weeks away and I am very excited to see it all come together.  Can't give away what she is making, but I can say it will be extremely tasty and fun...


The link to see all the fun from last year...   The Taste of Huntington


And how can I forget... I made some sugar flowers for part of her display, so as soon as the event is over I will post some pictures and write a little something...




No comments:

Post a Comment